Welcome to the Counseling Services Webpage :)
My name is Surita Mahashi, and I am the School Counselor at Harvey Clarke!
Prior to becoming a part of this vibrant community, I was an English teacher in South Korea, China, and Japan. I graduated from Trinity Washington University in Washington D.C. with a Master's of Arts in School Counseling, and Mental Health Counseling.
I am dedicated to provide our students with the tools, guidance, and strategies to reach their potential. As an advocate for students, I believe no child should be left behind. Therefore, I am committed to provide our students with an inclusive environment that supports healthy learning.
I support student growth through curriculum, individual planning, and responsive services.
Curriculum: Classroom guidance lessons - Once a week 30 minutes. I facilitate small group counseling lessons where students learn about self-regulation, social thinking, feelings, emotional control, decision making, and mindfulness.
I conference with students, families, and staff to meet students’ social/emotional, academic, and environmental needs. I meet with students, teachers, families, and other school staff to assist with student transitions.
I facilitate restorative peace circles to promote collaborative problem solving. I consultation and collaboration for individual family/school crisis intervention. I provide referrals to community partners/collaborators/specialists, small group counseling, and short-term individual counseling.
phone: 503-359-2478 extension 6228 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Comprehensive School Counseling Program
Endorsed by the National School Counseling Association(ASCA) & the Oregon School Counseling Association(OSCA)
The purpose of Comprehensive School Counseling Programs include:
- Integrated into the entire educational program to reach all students
- Preventive and intervention focused
- Systematically organized by licensed school counselors in collaboration with other professionals
- Accountable and evaluation-based
Comprehensive School Counseling Delivery Systems include two components:
- Core Curriculum: Provides content systematically to ALL students in classroom and small groups
- Individual Student Planning: assist students develop education, career and personal plans
- Responsive Services: addresses immediate concerns of students
- Program Planning & School Support: evaluating the school counseling program, 504, TAG, shared responsibilities with all school staff
- Referrals, Consultation & Collaboration: interacts with others to provide support for student achievement, meetings/teams